Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) Screening
Sexually Transmitted infections can affect sexually active males and females of all ages. At Dooradoyle Medical Centre we provide professional and confidential advice and treatment on all aspects of sexual health for both men and women. In many cases you may not even know you are infected so therefore can pass on an infection to a partner without realising it. This service is beneficial whether you have symptoms of infection (these include discharge, pain, lumps, sores, burning in urine), or if you and your partner simply want to know you are both free of infection.
A Sexual Health Screen involves
A consultation by a doctor (male or female as requested ) who will take:
- Urine sample – tested for Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea
- Blood sample – tested for H.I.V, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C and Syphilis
- Vaginal Swabs where indicated
- Depending on your symptoms, you may have swabs taken.
- Patients are advised not to pass urine for at least 2 hours before the screen in order to attain the optimal urine sample for testing.
- If you are worried about a particular exposure, and you have NO symptoms, it is advised to leave 2 weeks before you are screened.
What does a sexual health screen cost?
- Full sexual health screen costs €100
- Cryotherapy session (treatment for genital warts) €60 or covered by Private Health Insurance – €100.00 without health insurance
- Review appointment as necessary €60
What do we test for?
Depending on your symptoms, you maybe tested for:
- Hepatitis B and C
- Warts (HPV)
- Trichomonas Vaginalis
- Pubic Lice
- Other non sexually transmitted infections such as Thrush
All of our clinical staff have specific further training in this area and provide a highly professional service. We realize this is a sensitive subject so we provide the service with discretion and confidentiality.